Note: This makes about 4-6 servings. It is a delicious and filling vegan meal. The filling mixture makes for great leftovers as well!
1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (approx. one medium onion)
2 tbsp. cooking oil
2 cups cooked chickpeas or a can of cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup reserved liquid from cooking the beans (or from the can of beans)
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. lemon juice
4 tbsp. fresh mint, or 2tbsp dried mint
pita breads, sliced in half or quarters
1) On medium high, saute onion and eggplant in cooking oil for about 7-9 minutes or until the onion starts to brown.
2) Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, and cumin.
3) Add a a few tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid (or water if you forgot to save it) at a time while stirring. Allow the liquid to absorb. Do not let the mixture become dry.
4) Stir in the mint and remove from heat.
5) Serve the filling mixture in pita halves/quarters