Note: This is delicious and carroty! This soup only makes about 4 main-portion sized servings (or 8 appetizer sized servings). I have a feeling it would freeze well, so I will probably double it when I make it again.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 3" piece of fresh ginger, peeled & coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds of carrots, evenly sliced
5 cups of stock (vegetable or poultry)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
Crème fraîche or sour cream (optional garnish)
1) Heat oil in the bottom of your soup pot over medium heat. Saute ginger and onion until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2) Add carrots, juice, and stock. Raise heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots are tender.
4) Puree the soup in the pot, using an immersion blender, until smooth.
5) Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add more stock or water if soup is too thick.
Serve hot or chilled (refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving). Top with Crème fraîche or sour cream.