Chocolate Orange Cookies

Note: These came out wonderfully. I have adapted the recipe a bit due to the fact that I have a need to make teeny-tiny cookies. My mom says this is something that is in my genes. I think it's because I'd rather have 5 cookies than just one. :-) Big thanks to Meredith from Like Merchant Ships for this recipe - they might just turn into a new Christmas favorite!

Ingredients

2 sticks butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp finely shredded orange zest
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted*

*Frugal substitution: 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp. shortening, melted and combined. I used 3-ish Tbsp. of milk chocolate chips, I think. I figured out how much 2 oz was.


Directions

1) Beat butter with sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour in intervals, scraping sides of bowl often.

2) Divide dough in 2. Stir orange zest in 1 half; stir melted chocolate in the other half. Wrap dough balls separately and chill until easy to work with, but not soft.

3) Shape each chilled dough ball into rolls that are about an inch in diameter. I ended up with 2 rolls of each flavor. Wrap and chill for another 2 hours.

4) Cut each roll lengthwise into 2 halves. Turn each half flat-side down and divide into 2 more pieces.

5) You will have 4 firm quarters of chocolate dough and 4 quarters of orange dough. Put the rolls back together again, alternating chocolate and orange quarters. Squeeze slightly to seal the doughs. Re-wrap and chill 30 more minutes.

6) Cut each roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices. They spread while baking, so place them at least 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

7) Bake 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until slightly firm. Yields 13-ish dozen. YUM!


source: Home Ec 101 and Meredith from Like Merchant Ships

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

Chicken Pot Pie

Homemade Calzones