Note: Prepare beets by boiling and then peeling. Puree in the food processor. Clean any surfaces that come in contact with beet juice IMMEDIATELY! Measure out beet puree and freeze any leftovers in 3/4 cup portions to use for later batches of this recipe.
3/4 cup of beet puree
4 ounces of good-quality chocolate chips
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
7 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Melt chocolate in microwave by microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, stiring in between. When chocolate is smooth, set aside.
3) In a small bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt.
4) Cream butter and sugar together, add vanilla and eggs, one at a time,
until the mixture is creamy.
5) Add melted chocolate, beet puree, and flour mixture. Mix until there are no lumps.
6) Pour batter into 8 x 8 greased baking pan (or 7 x 11) and bake for 30 minutes.
7) When a toothpick comes out clean, they are done. Let cool and cut with a plastic knife.
source: recipe provided by my CSA.